Not only dust mites, but the bed mattress also contains sweat and bodily fluids along with mildew and mold growing on those things. If you don’t shower every day before going to bed, your bed mattress might also contain pollen, dirt and oils. Therefore, you must know how to clean your bed mattress.
1. First of all, you need to strip the bed. Wash your mattress pad and dry it, then wash the sheets and finally wash your bedspread.
2. Now, you need to vacuum it. Start slowly at the top of the bed mattress. Now, move downward slowly in narrow paths. Vacuum the sides of your bed mattress.
3. Deodorize your bed mattress. This step is needed because our bodily smell can lead to an abominable odor over time. It is necessary to rid your bed mattress of that smell. So you need to sprinkle your bed mattress with baking soda. Take a scrub brush and rub it properly so that the baking soda gets into the fabric of the bed mattress where the stink lives. You can also mix the baking soda with lavender or sandalwood for scenting it.
4. Vacuum the bed mattress for the second time after deodorizing it. The moisture and body oils in the fabric of the bed mattress that is the cause of the odors will be pulled out on vacuuming.
5. It is also very important to clean the stains of bodily fluids. You must immediately treat stains with cold water and hydrogen peroxide. However, in case the stains have settled on the mattress, here are some ways by which you can get rid of them:
- Dried blood stains can be cleaned by making a fine paste of hydrogen peroxide, table salt and liquid dish soap. In ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide, add 1 tablespoon of table salt and 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Rub the paste into the stain and allow it to dry before washing it off.
- In order to remove dried urine stains, you have to dissolve 3 tablespoons of baking soda in hydrogen peroxide. Add a few drops of liquid dish soap in the mixture and then dab the solution on the spot.
- To remove stains of other bodily fluids such as vomit, blot the stain properly with unscented, undiluted household ammonia.
These are some useful ways by which you can clean your bed mattress.
Photo source : drysolutions.ca